Friday, July 26, 2013

Passionately Keeping My Cape


After completing this week's homework, I have discovered that I get to keep my cape. We read about the nine areas of passion for administrators and related them to action research. 

The nine passions include: (Dana, 2009, p. 31)
  1. Staff Development
  2. Curriculum Development
  3. Individual Teachers
  4. Individual Students
  5. Community/Culture Building
  6. Leadership Skills
  7. Management
  8. School Performance
  9. Social Justice

As part of the assignment, we had to provide examples for the areas. Reading about the passions, action research projects began flying into my mind. For almost every example, I was able to give an actual project I have participated in, or plan to complete during my internship. 

This gave me the realization that my Site Supervisor is doing a great job at incorporating research on our campus. Because he is always wondering aloud, it has rolled over onto other members of the staff. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our school. 
Action research has become second nature to us and we have seen our school benefit from it. 

For now, I continue to be a superhero on campus and keep my cape.

Reference

Dana, N. F. (2009). Leading with passion and knowledge: the principal as action researcher.
         Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Corwin Press, a Joint Publication with the American
         Association of School Administrators.




2 comments:

  1. You are really lucky to have a site supervisor that understands action research. That's great that you already have experience with it. We are getting a new principal this year (hopefully soon!) and I hope he/she has some experience with this type of research. Use his expertise to your advantage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a revelation about my site supervisor this week too! She is amazing! She came to our campus in the middle of the school year last year and has magically won everyone's heart. She has such vision and everything she's doing is aligned with all of the cool stuff we are learning in our classes. I am so fortunate to have such a mentor!

    ReplyDelete