Monday, August 5, 2013

Let the Madness Begin!




After meeting with my Site Supervisor and reviewing comments to
my plan, I have decided to implement it as is. There are a few tweaks such as using our school software to deliver the needed surveys and planning to be a bit more aggressive in keeping tabs with my participating teachers. Overall, the structure seems sound. As my Supervisor said, "The more data, the better." 
Below is the overall project in written form for review. Enjoy!


        SETTING THE FOUNDATION
Our campus is examining the possibility of implementing a campus wide BYOD plan in our classrooms. In the technology plan, the emphasis is on using technology to innovate and enhance learning. To see if the BYOD plan will enhance learning, we researched ways to incorporate devices in a way that engages students, causes them to use higher level thinking skills, and increases performance. A Learning Management Source was selected to help the BYOD effort in the classroom. After research, a hosted Moodle LMS was selected.

       ANALYZING DATA
Pre- and Post-project surveys will be conducted with all the stakeholders. This includes the study teachers, students and their parents. Engagement and Bloom’s taxonomy levels will be determined by the use of classroom observation and teacher reporting. Observations will be recorded once each six week period. Three observations will occur in the environment before implementation of Moodle. Three observations will occur during the implementation of Moodle in the environments. This gives a total of six observations per classroom. Three classrooms will participate. One classroom will represent the lower campus, a fourth grade inclusive classroom. A sixth grade Language Arts classroom will represent the middle campus. The senior high campus will be represented by a social studies classroom. The total number of students represents approximately 18 percent of the student population. This shows a wide range of ages, subject matter, and a cross section of inclusive and rotating classes. This is a fairly good representation of the school body. Also, disaggregation of performance data will provide needed input for student performance levels.

       DEVELOPING DEEPER UNDERSTANDING
To be sure we have included all stakeholders, students, teachers and parents will provide  additional resource information. All groups will complete a survey at the beginning of the project. At the end of the project, the groups will complete another survey. We will examine this data to collect information that was not observed in the classroom.
Also, student performance will be measured by end of the year grades. Those before the Moodle implementation will be compared with grades after the Moodle implementation. Also, grades from previous years’ classes at the same point and the actual study class grades from the previous year will be examined.

       ENGAGE IN SELF-REFLECTION
During this study I will need to keep my thoughts to myself until the end of the study. In a way, I hope this works because my school was willing to pay money for the Moodle hosting. If using Moodle doesn’t raise these factors, I’m wondering if I will regret asking for all that money. Also, I am struggling with using one of my classes for the study because I don’t know if it will skew the results. I really need to put on my “scientist” cap and let the data drive the study.

       EXPLORING PROGRAMMATIC PATTERNS
Using BYOD in select classrooms, we have found that teachers are integrating the technology by using it for something they have already done previously. For example, instead of writing a report by hand, teachers allow students to use computers for word processing. Students are still writing the same report, only now they are using a computer to type the information. The teachers are not utilizing the technology for innovation.

The addition of using Moodle in the classroom is helping teachers to enhance the classroom environment by forcing them to do things they haven’t done before. This may include e-portfolios, student reflection, chat help for students, and more collaboration. Data indicators will tell us if this change to our environment enhances learning.

Computer wireless support may be a problem. Also, I need to be sure that teachers are utilizing Moodle within the test classes. I also wonder how this might impact other classes that are not using Moodle. Will this cause a problem with those not in the study? Probably not, but it is a consideration to make.

       DETERMINING DIRECTION
The direction of my project is clear. Focus is on student engagement, thinking skill level and performance impacted by the use of Moodle in a classroom. All teachers have access to learning and have the skills necessary to be successful. All teachers understand their parts in this collaborative study. The timelines are realistic and the plan to monitor the project is reasonable. Success will be determined by increases in the data factors. If the observation tools are not working well, teacher input and evaluation will be used instead.

       TAKING ACTION FOR SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT
Although I have not formed a traditional committee to help with this project, there are many supporters in the wings. First, the group of teachers participating in the project will be a great resource and support. Also, the Technology Committee has offered its help in compiling data. Finally, my site supervisor is supportive and has offered to help on all levels.

The project will span two semesters. The first will use traditional classroom settings. After this semester, data and evaluations will be taken for a formative evaluation. Following the second semester using Moodle in the classrooms, more data and evaluations will be assessed. Finally, all the data and assessments will be evaluated to form a final summative evaluation.

      SUSTAIN IMPROVEMENT
Following the project, I will inform my online colleagues. Also, I will have an opportunity to meet with our Administrative staff for a report, followed by an opportunity to present my findings to the school board.  Even if the findings do not support Moodle classroom use, I hope to discover many aspects of the project that would be beneficial to continue in our school classrooms.





1 comment:

  1. I don't have a committee to help me either. I'm hesitant to rely on others because I don't have the authority to ask teachers to help. I can't hold them accountable if they drop the ball. At least my principal is very supportive.

    ReplyDelete